Saturday, April 15, 2006

The start

As i stated before, my name is Maurice Levy and I reside in Fort Lee NJ. I am 74 years of age and I have had fortunate and unfortunate things happen to me. For the first 70 years of my life , I was perfectly healthy, never sick a day in my life. I always participated in all sports activities.

In 2001, my health was progessively getting worse. I lost a lot of weight. I frequently had nightsweats. In December 2001, I was diagnosed with non-hdgkins lymphoma. Obviously, this was quite a shock to me an my family. I knew of no other members of my family that had NHL or any other form of cancer. I immediately underwent chemotherapy which included a drug called Rituxan and CHOP. I will talk more about Rituxan in a later blog, because as far as I am concerned, Rituxan is a miracle drug.

I responded quite well to the meds and went into complete remission. It was clear at that time, that fortunately I was very responsive to all drugs, a attribute which would help me throughout my illness.

In May 2003, I experienced terrible pains in my pelvis and once again diagnosed with NHL. This time my bone marrow was comprimised with the disease. I was targeted for a bone marrow transplant but unfortunately I was unalbe to complete the therapy. Although my cancer was once again in remission, the toxicity of the chemo caused me to lose all kidney function. I lost the use of both kidney's and to this day, I need dialysis three times a week to remain alive.

It has been alomst three years since the second relpase of the disease.

This past winter I had been thinking about a kidney transplant. I was told by the doctors, that I needed to be cancer free for 3 years before I could be eligible for a kidney. My sister, in fact offered me one of her kidney's and I can't tell you how exited I was about the possibilty of living a normal, dialysis free, life once again.

While in Florida this past winter, my health began to deteroriate. I had trouble walking, breathing, my arm became very swollen and had sharp lower back pain.

Remarkably the cancer came back for a third time. The chances for a kidney transplant now gone, all that is left is to deal with the Lymphoma, which has spread throughout my chest, abdomen, brain and spinal cord.

You can either fight or give up and those who know me, understand that giving up was and is NEVER an option.

In a little more than a month, I have already undergone two oral chemo regimens and will begin the third and the highest dose next week. My brain lymphoma has shrunk by more than half. The lymphoma in my chest and throughout my body has reduced considerably. I feel good and ready to take the next step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home